Friday 8 February 2013

Findus Lasagne: Why Would You Eat It Anyway?

Apparently Findus Lasagne has been found to contain 60-100% horsemeat.

Given the actual amount of meat in this type of product, I suspect that quarter of an ounce of horsemeat is unlikely to hurt anybody.

Horse is not my favourite meat, but I have it from time to time, it is widely available from butchers here in Brussels.

Actually, given the choice of a nice tender piece of Cheval, fresh from my local butcher, or some ancient piece of pale tasteless pork pumped full of water and wrapped in celophane and bought from a British supermarket, guess which I would choose?

It is one of the nicer aspects of life here. I buy meat from the butcher, fish from the fishmonger, bread from a baker, and cheese from a fromagerie. Fruit and veg only comes from the farmer's market. In London, it is Tesco or Waitrose for everything. Its a shame.

But back to Findus Lasagne. Why would you want to give that to your children? Lasagne is one of the simplest dishes to make. Why buy it in a bloody box? I can only imagine what it tastes like, and I bet the texture is pretty ghastly too.

I always loved to cook. On Saturday, when I was a boy, my dad used to get up early to bake bread - it was wonderful. I remember the smell as if it were yesterday, and to have a couple of thick slices while it was still warm was heaven.

I guess nobody bakes their own bread now.

Apparently not many people can make their own lasagne, either.

1 comment:

  1. Need to see about making my own bread but never seem to get round to it. They should just change the box? http://www.coolphoto.co.uk/2013/02/new-findus-horse-lasagne.html

    ReplyDelete