Friday 26 September 2014

A Chat With One Of My Heroes.....



It is no secret that I love Rock n Roll. I remember once being described as a "former Teddy Boy". That made me laugh....  Former? ... I think not.

Today I was thrilled to have a wee chat online with one of the great names of Rock n Roll - Dickie 'Bee Bop' Harrell. 


Dickie was the original drummer with Gene Vincent's Blue Caps. He played on the original recording of Be Bop A Lula way back in 1956


At this point, anybody who understands Rock n Roll should start to get a bit excited.
I won't go into great detail, but I will share just a few of Dickie's words with you.


"GENE WAS ONE OF THE BEST, HE COULD SING AND HE DID IT WELL. I DON'T THINK I ADDED ANYTHING TO HIM BEING SO SUCCESSFUL. CLIFF, JACK AND WILLIE MADE IT HAPPEN WITH THAT SOUND THEY HAD. ANYBODY COULD HAVE DONE WHAT I DID, WHICH IS VERY LITTLE.THE BOYS MADE THE SOUND AND GENE HAD THE VOICE. I REST MY CASE SIR. THANK YOU."


Those of us who love the music will know those names well. We will also recognise one of the most modest statements of all time. Dickie Harrell was absolutely crucial to the early Blue Cap sound. The drums and the background screams on Be Bop A Lula, the frantic energy of the first album Bluejean Bop, Dickie is the sound of the Blue Caps.


How wonderful it is to hear such modesty. How wonderful it is to wake up in the morning to find a message from someone I have idolised since I was about 12 years old..... Now there is a real star!





Dickie, incidentally, is a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.  http://www.rockabillyhall.com/gvdickie.html







No comments:

Post a Comment