Friday 25 June 2010

The highlight of the World Cup so far was sitting in the middle of a huge group of German fans, cheering for Serbia. I suspect that one may come back to bite me on the ar*e on Sunday.

I tried to explain to a Spanish friend after the game the very special relationship we English enjoy with the Germans. It may be something to do with working in the EU institutions, but I really do get the impression that we Brits are the only people in Europe to have any accurate recollection of the 20th century whatsoever. I find those old UKIP myths about Europe tediously dull, but it is absolutely true that in the European Parliament WW2 has been referred to as the "European Civil War". It is also the case that there were, apparently, no Germans involved at all. It was the Nazis, you see!

But surely my favourite moment was during a meeting of the EP Security and Defence sub-committee back in 2004. The Ukrainian "Orange Revolution" was in full swing, and there were real concerns that Russia might invade in order to partition the country. A rather fat German MEP stood up and called for the EU to send troops to act as a "blocking force".

There was a flaw in this plan... the EU did not actually have an army.

I was reminded of another mad German politician, 60 years before, who wanted to send non-existent troops to stop the Russians.

Politics: only the faces change!

The photo, incidentally, has nothing to do with the story, but aren't they great :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I presume your talking about the beer glases ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered sending you a photograph of my large breasts, to show you that here in the UK, there are an increasing abundance of large breasted women too.

    Unfortunately, my breasts being the size they are, I could not fit then both of them into the mobile picture frame. They are just too big!

    Which would you like to see; the left or the right!

    When I was born, one of my christian names being Jane, I was called by the nurses "Jayne Mansfield", such was the size of my chest!

    Unfortunately, due to middle-age they have not only extended outwards necessating a G cup bra, but also downwards meaning I have difficulty tying my shoelaces.

    What has this got to do with politcs I hear you say?

    More than you think!

    There's many a state secret craftly drawn out of a politician by a big breasted women who overpowers him with her 'charms'.

    ReplyDelete