Saturday 4 July 2015

Canal Swimming Club - No Swimming Allowed

It is one of those truly unique 'Belgian' moments.

I love Bruges. If you have never been there, I suggest that you put it on the top of your 'must see' list. As Ralph Fiennes so memorably put it in the 2008 movie In Bruges "its like a f***ing fairytale..."

Well, even Han Christian Anderson couldn't have made this up. A swimming club where no swimming is allowed.

The canals of Bruges are lovely - I am often in the town myself - but to be frank I wouldn't want to swim in them. But what is the point of a swimming club where swimming is prohibited?

To be fair, there is some small print that suggests that swimming might be allowed in certain periods of the year, but only if the water conditions are "good".

Trust me, you do not want swim in those canals, as beautiful as they appear.

Interestingly, having inspected the recently installed waterside decking that is home to the Canal Swimmers Club, a great place for sunbathing, I noticed that there is a bar. However, drinking alcohol is also prohibited by the police.

A little advice - it is worth staying overnight in Bruges, as the town empties of tourists from about 8pm onwards, and becomes very quiet. That is the time for a stroll along the canals. Just don't go for a swim.....

No comments:

Post a Comment