Sunday 7 June 2015

A bloody mess...

It is very wise in Brussels to avoid making eye contact with people on the street. If you do so, they will inevitably ask for directions.

My two favourites are the lady driver who pulled over in the centre of Brussels and asked me which road she needed to take to get to Germany, and two American ladies who asked me where the Flower Carpet is. When I explained that it can be found in Grand Place for a few days every two years, and this was not one of those years, they got really upset. They had come to Brussels just to see it!

Yesterday I had the unpleasant experience of having a really heavy nose bleed whilst on my way to the local shops. It really gushed, and I found myself struggling to contain it with just a piece of tissue. There were quite a few people around, and a young couple came towards me - my hand and T-shirt were covered with blood at this point.

"Do you speak English?" the lady asked me. "Yes I do," I replied, hoping she might offer some assistance in the form of more tissue paper. "Do you know where the nearest Metro station is?" she asked.....

Possibly 20 or more people around, and so if you need directions you go to the distressed guy covered in blood.

I sometimes think that Brussels is a community of village idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment