Tuesday 20 October 2009

The Belgian postal service...

I’m not very enthusiastic about tax. I personally think it morally questionable that I should have my hard earned income taken away from me and used in ways I strongly disapprove of. In my part of London, only 20% of households pay council tax, the rest are dependent on benefits - my bloody taxes, in other words.
I was delighted to receive a tax demand from the Belgian authorities, however: It is for the princely sum of zero. I approve of this, and so I won’t be challenging it. I did have another reason to contact them, however, and that is where the problem begins…

I had to send a registered letter. Nothing heavy, one sheet of paper inside an envelope. This cost me €5,19 - that’s almost five quid to post a letter! I shouldn’t have needed to post the letter, which is what makes me really mad - I tried to e-mail them, but neither of the two e-mail addresses given on their letter to me actually works. A bit like Belgium itself, in fact. Duff. Dud. Defective. Unavailable on Monday mornings, Friday afternoons, public holidays, bridging days, or for three hours either side of lunchtime.
Five quid for a bloody letter…

No comments:

Post a Comment