Friday 28 February 2014

A Precious Moment!




I love music.

Rock n Roll or Country, Jazz or Folk. Classical or Opera, I simply love music. And the good Lord blessed me with a life in which I am surrounded by like minded souls.

Sometimes I am lucky to meet some very special people. But to me, there is none more special than Mr Vytautas Landsbergis MEP, who I have written about before on this blog. He is not just a great composer and musician, but he is also one of the true political heroes of our time. And his office is close to mine, and so I am able to share some moments with him far more often than I really deserve.

And so....

He kindly agreed to attend a concert to mark the events unfolding in the Ukraine. After the occasion, a conversation on the stage went something like this:

Me: "Mr Landsbergis, I regret that I never heard you play in this house..."

Mr Landsbergis: "Hmmm...."

At which point he promptly sat down and played for us. I have a soft spot for this stage, because in 2009 it saw the launch of a project to bring more classical music into the parliament. A project initiated by former MEP Tom Wise, under the banner 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH - FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION' and inspired and elevated by the Ukrainian pianist, Dmytro Sukhevienko, a former student of Yehudi Menuhin, and also my daughter's teacher. He is also a good friend and inspiration to me. Dmytro is totally dedicated to to the classical cause.

I was thrilled beyond belief when I was sent the above photo. It is a picture that I will cherish forever.

My thanks to Olga Kaminska for this wonderful image, and for preserving this wonderful memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment